Friday, September 17, 2010

Advice of a King

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast like him who takes it off." 1 Kings 20:11

40 years ago, my mom had me sign up and play about every sport that was available.  I suppose it was to make me "well-rounded."  I got used to doing whatever I was signed up for without getting emotionally involved.  I'll never forget the tennis lessons, that turned into a tournament, (I had no clue until the last set of games).  A boastful kid made the biggest deal out of the fact that he was going to beat me.  I figured he probably would.  After he lost, (because the Lord was clearly teaching me something), I played others and it came down to the last set of games.  I finally got the idea that it was important because I noticed that ALL of the instructors were gathered around watching and they were rooting for the girl that I was playing against.  Come to find out, it was the championship game.

Afterward, I never heard from the unbalanced boy that played against me, but he had made such a scene with his misplaced confidence that I've never forgotten.  I think of it every time I see a football player make a tackle as if it's the first tackle he has ever accomplished - slapping his helmet, beating his chest, pumping biceps.  The next play usually reverses any chest-beating effort anyway which illustrates the emptiness of it all.

After we win we shouldn't boast either, even though the advice in the above verse seems to allow that.  Instead, apply Jeremiah 9:23 and 24:

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:  But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.


No comments:

Post a Comment