Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fear


Fear of anything except the reverent fear of God is a sin. Putting it bluntly, I must love to sin because I fear something so often. Early memories of school were full of fearing what might happen. I used to get nauseated in the mornings at school because of it. Now, I catch myself waking up on Monday morning having lost my confidence in Him and finding something to dread. Talk about out-of-control sin! Fear is a sin that we seem to be free to admit to; maybe because almost everyone so easily succumbs to it. However, it is most serious in the eyes of God. The Israelites who feared had to wander 40 years until they died because of it. I'd better be letting Him work it out and trust Him instead of holding on to it!

God remembers that we are but dust, so His Word is full of encouragement for us:

"When you go forth to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, is with you." Deut. 20:1

"You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the LORD, who is with you...!’ Do not fear or be dismayed...for the LORD is with you.” 2 Chron. 20:17
"For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’" Isaiah 41:13

"The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!" Habbakuk 3:19

I have to say to myself, "position yourself at His side, cling to Him. The battle is always before you and the odds against you are always impossible. How do you think you got this far? Not by your own effort at all. You've lived for 47 years now and he has not allowed you to succumb to disaster yet. Why are you choosing to fear today? Depend on Him, thereby putting on your invincible army and personal bravery."

No comments:

Post a Comment