Sunday, May 16, 2010

Creeped Out


We went to the graduation at WCU. They could have skipped the opening prayer and I might not have noticed. Instead they had a (meaningless) "moment of silent reflection". That put me on alert to everything that came afterward. The faculty patted themselves on the back some and then told the students they were now prepared to "make a difference". After all, that's what everyone wants isn't it?

We get home and a well-thought-of brother in the Lord is ranting on Facebook about our carbon footprint and something about how hateful it is for people, (who have a negative opinion of the way our current president is governing), to want to round up and deport illegal aliens. I must have assumed that he knew that the One who created all matter has our environment under His watchful care. Where is this rounding up illegals and deporting anger stuff coming from unless you have bought into the lies of those who make a distinction and are agitating?
I'm starting to get creeped out. We're supposed to be like frogs in the heating pan of water. It's supposed to come on slowly, and we're not supposed to realize it till it's too late. That theory went out the window! It's happening too fast and I can feel it.

While I'm doing the ranting now, I have to know that this same influence of the world is having it's way with me too. Some "checking" questions I should ask myself are:
Is my confidence in the Lord what it should be?
Do I realize that only He can make a difference, so I don't have to self-promote?
Do I have a heart that is willing? Did I ask for one this morning?
Who am I listening to? What am I feeding on?
Isn't pride surfacing in my thoughts almost continually?

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment